Muresk Institute is a centre of excellence with a focus on championing the agricultural sector in Western Australia.
Through innovative partnerships we ensure relevant and contemporary education and training opportunities are available to meet the demand for skilled workers. We cultivate modern agriculture by providing:
- access to the latest innovation in technology, processes and equipment;
- a specialised agricultural facility for scientific research and professional development;
- contemporary learning spaces, student accommodation and a working farm; and
- industry driven education and training opportunities delivered by industry current and credible trainers.
View the range of Education and Training options available or download a copy of our current short course calendar (PDF).
Located in an open, rural setting, Muresk Institute is an attractive and highly equipped conference and accommodation venue for all corporate and community events.
Take a look below to find out more about the Muresk Institute's journey from an agricultural college to a centre of excellence.
Muresk Institute historical timeline
‘Muresk Farm’ was purchased by the Western Australian State Government from Mrs EW Cotton, daughter of founding farmer Andrew Dempster.
Muresk Agricultural College was established, with 16 students commencing classes on 14 September 1926, with the initial focus being animal husbandry.
Muresk was closed for a short period due to World War II.
Muresk became part of the Western Australian Institute of Technology, the first agricultural college in Australia to become part of a larger institution of higher education.
On its 50th anniversary in 1976 Muresk hosted the International Sheep Breeding Congress which attracted delegates from around the world.
Muresk introduced the first undergraduate degree in agribusiness in Australia.
Bulletin magazine named Muresk as Australia’s best tertiary education in agriculture.
A four year Bachelor of Agriculture and Bachelor of Horticulture were introduced.
A new agribusiness program was introduced. At this time there were 23 PhD and nine Masters students enrolled in research programs at Muresk.
The responsibility for Muresk’s operation was transferred from Curtin University to the State Government. The Department of Training and Workforce Development established Muresk Institute as a multi-tenanted, multi-functional facility for training, higher education, research, professional development and learning extension.
Delivery of the Bachelor of Agricultural Business Management.
Delivery of the Integrated Diploma and other milestones including the delivery of training to 1000 students.
Source: A History of Muresk by Glen McClaren (unpublished) and Peter Maskell MA thesis; and communication with John Janes, Jeanne Jujnovich, Ian Fairnie and Tricia Slee (Sept. 2001).